You can obtain further information about Leicester City Council SEND travel assistance by using the following link: https://schools.leicester.gov.uk/services/special-education-service/send-travel-assistance/
Keeping our children safe online:
Explore together: Explore online together so you can share all the great fun and educational things they can do. Remind them if anything makes them sad or frightened to come and show you.
Be involved: Ask children to use devices in the same room as you, it’s easier to keep and an eye on how they’re using the internet. Ask them to share their interests with you.
Put yourself in control: Use parental controls on your home broadband and internet-connected devices. Talk to your child about keeping safe and not telling people names (or other details) online.
Use passwords: Keep devices out of reach (for younger children) and always set passwords on all your internet-connected devices. This is the easiest way to know when they are using the internet. Passwords also stop additional purchases when they’re playing games or using apps. Visit e.g. www.internetmatters.org to find out how.
Use age-appropriate sites and apps: Choose safe, fun and educational sites and apps for your child, use video, learning, gaming platforms and services designed with children in mind like YouTube Kids, Sky Kids, BBC iPlayerKids, and Nick Jr.
Set boundaries: Set some rules about how they use internet-connected devices including which apps and sites they can use and how long they can spend on them. Use timers to limit the time on a device or show the time is about to finish. Make sure they know what the next activity will be. Avoid using devices in the hour before bedtime. This is good advice for all of us!
Child Mental Health and Wellbeing
10 Tips for Parents
Your Mental Health and Wellbeing
10 Tips for Parents
NOS Online Safety Guides
Knowsley CLC Parental Controls booklet
Useful Websites for Parents
• Leicester City Local Offer Website: https://families.leicester.gov.uk/send-local-offer/
• Mychoice Leicester: https://mychoice.leicester.gov.uk/
• Leicestershire Local Offer Website: https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/education-and-children/specialeducational-needs-and-disability
• Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) Leicester:
• ADD/ADHD Online Information: http://www.adders.org/
• Foundation for people with learning disabilities: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/learning-disabilities/about-us
• Scope: https://www.scope.org.uk/
• Down Syndrome Support: https://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/
• NOFAS-UK (The National Organisation for Foetal Alcohol Syndrome-UK): http://www.nofas-uk.org/
• National Autistic Society: https://www.autism.org.uk/
• Carers Trust: https://carers.org/
• Epilepsy Action: https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/carers/introduction-for-carers-of-people-with-epilepsy-andlearning-disability
• Mencap: https://www.mencap.org.uk/?gclid=CJ2lhN7A4psCFZkA4wodfyBx_Q
• Netmums Local: https://www.netmums.com/local/leicester
• Genetics Disorders UK: https://www.geneticdisordersuk.org/